From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Feckless xdm not much of a manager
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 03:56:07
1 On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I'm actually working to integrate a new HD monitor in a system built before
4 > HD was invented. The monitor works better than the old one, but just in 4:3
5 > aspect mode. But that's another thread, I only mention it so you know I'm
6 > as well off as I was before the old monitor fritzed out on me.
7 >
8 > In order to make progress on this thing, it's useful to be able to control
9 > the display manager. My problem has been that going to /etc/init.d
10 > and commanding "./xdm stop" seems to work, but has no effect on KDE.
11 > Manually killing kde (ps -ef | grep kde, etc) just starts another one. I
12 > finally figured out that I have to find the 'kdm' process and kill that,
13 > then a logoff or Ctl_Alt_BS actually gets rid of X, so I can do things like
14 > "X -configure" and so on.
15 >
16 > Oddly, "./xdm start" worked fine, and was responsible for kdm being
17 > started. But isn't it odd that the display "manager" has such weak
18 > control on its "subordinate"? Big PITA for me.
19 >
20 > Grrrrr.
23 The reason that some of this was in the past tense is that somehow I've
24 gotten in a situation
25 where rebooting does _not_ start a display manager. Fortunately, "./xdm
26 start" still works --
27 it's just more PITA..
31 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD