From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Need a new server
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:08:00
1 >>>>> It's time to switch hosts. I'm looking at the following:
2 >>>>>
3 >>>>> Dual Xeon E5-2690
4 >>>>> 32GB RAM
5 >>>>> 4x SSD RAID10
6 >>>>
7 >>>> If I make this 6x SSD RAID10 with redundant power supplies, what is my
8 >>>> weakest link as far as hardware? If a CPU craps out, will the system
9 >>>> keep running?
10 >>>
11 >>> Your weakest link is not having redundant power feeds. Two PSUs doesn't
12 >>> help much when they both draw power from the same place :-)
13 >>
14 >> At Soft Layer redundant power supplies are actually powered by
15 >> redundant power feeds.
16 >>
17 >>> Second is inadequate cooling in the data centre
18 >>
19 >> Easy to monitor though.
22 > True, it's easy to monitor. But that does not help you in case of
23 > cooling. I had that case once a few years back in july. Air condition
24 > _and_ backup air condition fell out in the offsite data center where we
25 > had some server.
26 >
27 > I still have the munin image from that day. Almost 70° c hot hard drives
28 > are not a pretty sight :-)
29 >
30 > And there's nothing you can do, except shutting down the server and wait
31 > until the refrigeration engineers have fixed the air conditioning.
32
33 Nasty. It looks like you didn't shut down though. I use munin too.
34
35 - Grant