From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Traffic volumes for distfiles mirror
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:28:21
1 On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:59:53 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > So if you run this on a suitable cross-section of machines
4 > > overnight, http-replicator's cache will be primed by the time you
5 > > stumble bleary-eyed into the office.
6 >
7 > That has to be the most accurate description of my typical mornings
8 > I've ever read anywhere... :-)
9
10 If we were meant to turn up at work wide awake, $DEITY wouldn't have
11 given us coffee machines :)
12
13 > > If all your machines run a similar mix of software, say KDE desktops,
14 > > you only need to run the cron task on one of them.
15 >
16 > Um, that's the hard part. Here's KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, e17 - just for
17 > WMs. All machines are ~x86 but that's where the similarities end. I
18 > suppose I could set up a master machine whose world is a combination of
19 > all the clients. But whatever I chose, the solution doe not appear to
20 > be simple :-(
21
22 There's nothing to stop you installing all the DE/WMs on one box, it
23 doesn't have to use them all, or run emerge -uf world on more than one.
24
25 I guess you could also join all your world files into one, remove dupes
26 and do something like "emerge -uf system; xargs emerge -uDf <masterfile".
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Don't be humble, you're not that great.