From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Proper permissions for /var/log/portage/elog/summary.log?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 03:28:23
1 Bryan Gardiner wrote:
2 > On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:48:33 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > So those that allow users to run would have the same permissions as
6 > everyone else. Now I wonder why they vary from system to system
7 > then. It seems to me, they should be the same for everyone. Just
8 > seems odd.
9 >
10 > Dale
11 >
12 > :-) :-)
13 > I generally "emerge -p" as user then "emerge" as root. For ownership
14 > of /var/log/portage/elog, I tried changing my system with portage:root
15 > to portage:portage and vice versa on the other system. Something
16 > during right the merge phase, right around when those elog messages
17 > appear, resets the ownership back to what is was before I changed it
18 > on both systems. Odd indeed.
19 >
20 > I thought perhaps some user flag in FEATURES would do this, but the
21 > only difference between the two is buildpkg vs. buildsyspkg. The only
22 > user FEATURE enabled is userfetch. Running portage-2.2.0_alpha112 on
23 > both.
24 >
25 > - Bryan
28 I always use the -a option. If everything looks good, I can hit the "y"
29 key and let it go. Doing it your way, it has to calculate the thing
30 twice. If you have a fast rig, it may not matter much tho.
31
32 I used to use the -p option but I was glad to see the -a option. I was
33 using my old AMD 2500+ single core system back then and it saved me a
34 LOT of time. I guess the habit stuck when I built my new rig. My new
35 rig is AMD 3.2Ghz with 4 cores and 16Gbs of ram with portages work
36 directory on tmpfs. HUGE difference.
37
38 It is odd that the permissions would vary. It seems that it should be
39 the same, unless we actively do something to change them. Just odd.
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
47
48 Miss the compile output? Hint:
49 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"