From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-based 'filer' / GentooFiler How-To?
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 14:06:38
1 On 2011-05-15 14:59, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2
3 > Indeed. And sometimes top-posting is *forced* (e.g., Google's
4 >Java-based Gmail client -- it *totally* hides the replied-to message).
5 >
6 > Heck, using my E72's built-in mail client is only slightly better:
7 >for reasons known to the makers only, replies do *not* get indented
8 >using '>'. I have to manually put in a mark there.
9
10 Yes, I know I'm trying to fight wind mills here (ref. to
11 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote for those not in the know)...
12 (I'm not happy with my current mail client either [Thunderbird]).
13 I just added my comment to expand Florians suggestion, and the fact
14 that most people on this list don't top-post but do not edit their mails
15 so you have to scroll down, sometimes page after page to find the reply.
16 But this is quite common on most lists today (and most lists are, sadly,
17 much more tolerant towards top-posting). 'tis but a reflection of mine...
18
19 From http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855:
20 "
21 - If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
22 summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
23 enough text of the original to give a context. This will make
24 sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
25 Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
26 postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
27 response to a message before seeing the original. Giving context
28 helps everyone. But do not include the entire original!
29 "
30
31 Best regards
32