From: "Randolph Maaßen" <r.maassen60@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, aaa@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?q
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:37:57
1 Aaa aAaa aaa a
2 Am 17.08.2012 10:31 schrieb <meino.cramer@×××.de>:
3 >
4 > Hi Alex,
5 >
6 > ...shot in the dark:
7 > Remove as much as possible of the cards,aadwqqqaaa www wpa www a weißes
8 www aaaaaa Array www www www a aaa aaaaaa aadwqqqaaa aaa w aadwqqqaaa www
9 aaaaaa aaa a aaa www aaaaaaaaAwaa aaa aaaaaa quattro Aquarellw aaa aaaaaa
10 aaaaaa Webauftritt aaa a aaa aAaaaa aaa aAaaaaaAaaaaaAaaaaaq aaawa addons,
11 connections etcwo
12 > from the PC ... make ian as much "bare bone" aaa stwww wwwaaa www
13 qaaaaaaa wwwas a.
14 > www www waslittle ones also) for dust. Removeaa wwwaa all
15 > dust even if it is not completly covered with ait.
16 >
17 > Dona www ot forget the internals of the power supply. Detach all cables.
18 > Remove the power supply. Go outside ;) and blow the dust inside away.
19 >
20 > Put the power supply back into the PC again an attach the cables.
21 >
22 > Remove all RAM, carefully clean the contacts, insert as less RAM as
23 > possible.
24 >
25 > Remove even the HD if it is possible to get into the BIOS
26 > without any HD attached.
27 >
28 > Remove the BIOS battery, wait at least a day and insert it again.
29 >
30 > Start the PC and go directly into the BIOS. Check the date/time.
31 > If it shows the current date/time, the battery wasn't removed
32 > long enough. Check the battery voltage. Reinsert the battery.
33 > If your board has a BIOS reset: Reset the BIOS.
34 >
35 > Then: In the BIOS enter a page which "does something"
36 > (reports continously temperatures for example).
37 >
38 > If this is possible, let the PC run for a
39 > while that BIOS page and see, whether it
40 > hangs again or not.
41 >
42 > If all went fine, add ONE component and try it again.
43 > Add the HD at last to sort out hardware from software bugs...
44 >
45 > May be one of the components and not the CPU or motherboard
46 > causes the problem and you will be able to identify it by
47 > this procedure...
48 >
49 > HTH!
50 >
51 > GOOD LUCK!
52 >
53 > Best regard,
54 > mcc
55 >
56 > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> [12-08-17 09:56]:
57 > > Hi there!
58 > >
59 > > Two days ago, my PC suddenly died, after working fine for half a year.
60 > > I used myrtcwake as usual to suspend to RAM, and it woke up in the
61 > > morning. But after two minutes, the screen went blank and nothing, even
62 > > SysRq, gave a reaction. I tried booting a couple of times again, and
63 > > sometimes it did not even reach KDM. Now, I cannot even run Grub (from
64 > > my USB stick) any more, I only see a "GRUB" string at the top right,
65 > > then nothing happens.
66 > >
67 > > Booting with SystemRescueCD also freezes sometimes. If not, I can make
68 > > it freeze after seconds by running 'memtester'.
69 > >
70 > > Booting good old memtest86 ran for an hour and only found one error,
71 > > then I aborted, removed three of my four memory modules (4GB each), and
72 > > tried different ones in the first bank. Memtest86 again did not find
73 > > much errors, but froze once. Running memtester after booting from
74 > > SystemrescueCD again makes the thing freeze in seconds. It once also
75 > > froze while being in the BIOs setup.
76 > >
77 > > What could be the problem? CPU, board, or even the PSU? I do not think
78 > > it has to do with bad memory. I removed most of the other stuff (hard
79 > > drives, PCI cards). I have no similar hardware so I cannot simply
80 > > exchange things, the question is what to buy and try. How would you
81 > > proceed?
82 > >
83 > > The fan is still working, the cooler does not become hot, and in the
84 > > BIOS there are not high temperatures begin reported. But one thing was
85 > > strange: I updated Calligra from 2.4 to 2.5 (I think), and it took
86 > > ages, at least 8 hours. I thought there may b something strange with
87 > > the build process of this new version, forcing MAKEOPTS=-j1 and such,
88 > > but still this is very long. But when working with it, I did not notice
89 > > anything strange like sluggish reactions, and videos played fine. But I
90 > > did not use it as much as I normally do, and maybe even when overheated
91 > > and throttled down it would have been fast enough for me to not notice
92 > > this. I watch the syslog normally, but maybe I just did not look
93 > > closely that day, I was busy doing other stuff.
94 > >
95 > > CPUs don't just die, do they? Even when overheating, I think these days
96 > > throttle down, so no permanent harm should be done? So maybe it's the
97 > > board? It looks okay, no bent or leaking capacitors.
98 > >
99 > > This is really annoying. Of course most of my passwords are in my KDE
100 > > wallet I cannot access. There's also Wiki, CVS and Git repositories,
101 > > not needed every day, but still important. And the timinig is very bad,
102 > > I just started my new job the day the problem happened, and I do not
103 > > have much time for this now. Before, I was working at home, so I would
104 > > have had all day to diagnose and try things.
105 > >
106 > > It's an AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core CPU, and an ASRock 880GMH/U3S3 board.
107 > >
108 > > Wonko