From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systray app notifying of updated packages?
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 22:30:17
1 On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 12:02:27AM +0200, Sebastian Pipping wrote
2
3 > Does anyone know an app sitting in the systray sending/popping
4 > notifications when installed packages can be updated?
5
6 I'm not aware of any. That could be done under Gentoo, via scripting,
7 if someone is willing to put in the work. You would need a background
8 process running "emerge --sync" *AS ROOT* on a daily basis, possibly a
9 cron job. Then it would have to be followed by
10
11 emerge -pv --deep --update --changed-use @world > updates.txt
12
13 Then parse the contents of updates.txt for a list of what's ready to
14 update.
17 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
18 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications