From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Use split to break up a 10GB file binary?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:06:18
1 On Monday 20 Jun 2011 22:06:59 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 08:25:57AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote
4 > >
5 > >> Hi,
6 > >> Is split an appropriate program to use to break a single 10GB file
7 > >> into 100 100MB files to transfer over the net using rsync, and then
8 > >> use cat to reassemble?
9 > >>
10 > >> Is there some better way to do this?
11 > >
12 > > That's what split was written for. I can't think of anything better.
13 > > BTW, what type of data is the 10 gig file? If it's text, then consider
14 > > using zip or bzip2 on each of the fragments before transferring. If
15 > > it's an already compressed binary format, then don't waste time
16 > > attempting further compression.
17 > >
18 > > --
19 > > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
20 >
21 > Hi Walter.
22 >
23 > It's a Virtualbox VM exported from virtualbox-4.0.8. It consumes about
24 > 40GB on disk, compressed by Virtualbox to about 10GB by their 'Export
25 > Appliance' feature.
26 >
27 > I actually did try compressing the exported 10GB file with gzip &
28 > bzip2 before splitting it. None of those provided any compression. I
29 > didn't try the spilt outputs as I figured they are just binary chunks
30 > and wouldn't compress either.
31 >
32 > Thanks for the info.
33
34 You could try:
35
36 wget -c -t 0
37
38 to retry (forever) should the transfer fail for some reason and not bother
39 with splitting the file.
42 Regards,
43 Mick