From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ath5k and laptop cpu frequency scaling
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 20:05:50
1 I switched from madwifi-ng to ath5k when I switched from kernel 2.6.28
2 to 2.6.29 and my wifi speed is unusably slow when the CPU speed is
3 scaled down. I am talking about trying to ssh into my laptop taking
4 literally MINUTES to respond when it is running at 800MHz but being
5 instant when it is running at 2000MHz. If I am emerging or doing
6 anything to run the CPU, the wifi speed is fine. When I am
7 interactively using the laptop it's not as much of an issue because
8 the laptop itself is perfectly normal in its responsiveness, but the
9 wifi practically dies when the CPU slows down. I tried with cpudyn and
10 without (using kernel ondemand governor).
11
12 Is anyone else using ath5k on a laptop and having this problem? I
13 don't know if it is the wifi driver, the kernel, or something else. I
14 did about 3 months worth of updates all at once, so that makes it a
15 nice big mess for isolating the cause. :)
16
17 Thanks,
18 Paul