From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to see network activity?
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 20:07:06
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 22:03:55 +0400
4 Boris Sobolev <immunogene@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > I' m not sure if I need packet analyzer or another tool.
7
8 A packet analyzer would be fine, I think. Although me as a CLI-junkie
9 would have suggested tcpdump instead of wireshark :-) Emerge tcpdump,
10 and as root do
11 $ tcpdump -vvni ppp0
12
13 > I can see network activity on my dsl modem led.
14
15 Oh, totally normal behaviour. There's a lot of noise on the 'net, you
16 know ;-) my modem's led blinks continously due to a lot of incoming
17 requests to ports like 135 (worms), 4xxx-6xxx (P2P)...
18
19 > Right before I switched to Gentoo, my windows box has
20 > died for a couple of days ( it had no firewall).
21 > It was bunch of viruses, worms and god knows what
22 > else. When I turned firewall, it blocked endless probes.
23 > I suspect the same thing hapening now. Aside from
24 > I need a firewall ( and I deliberatly do not install one,)
25 > how can I track an activities that generate that traffic?
26
27 Rule #1: Not reliably on the machine itself. But above mentioned
28 'tcpdump' is a start. But if there's a rootkit on the machine, it is
29 free to censor its own traffic. (that's true for both Windows and Linux)
30
31 But why do you think you need a firewall? If you're not running
32 services with security holes, or use strange network protocols, you
33 should be somewhat safe. (that's just Linux :-) )
34
35 Well, I highly suggest to setup iptables, but it is very unlikely that
36 it caused harm to your system that you didn't set it up yet.
37
38 -hwh
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list