From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ansible, puppet and chef
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:14:12
1 On 17/09/2014 09:34, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:43:18 PM Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> Anyone here used ansible and at least one of puppet/chef?
5 >>
6 >> What are your thoughts?
7 >>
8 >> I've made several attempts over the years to get puppet going but never
9 >> really got it off the ground. Chef I stay away from (likely due to the
10 >> first demo of it I saw and how badly that went....)
11 >>
12 >> Puppet seems to me a good product for a large site with 1000 hosts.
13 >> Not so much for ~20 or so. Plus puppet's language and configs get large
14 >> and hard to keep track of - lots and lots of directory trees with many
15 >> things mentioning other things. (Nagios has the same problem if you
16 >> start keeping host, services, groups and commands in many different files)
17 >>
18 >> I've stumbled upon ansible, it seems much better than puppet for
19 >> smallish sites with good odds I might even keep the whole thing in my
20 >> head at any one time :-)
21 >>
22 >> Anyone care to share experiences?
23 >
24 > No experiences yet, but I have been looking for options to quickly and easily
25 > create (and remove) VMs lab environments.
26
27 Have you tried Vagrant?
28
29 I haven't tried it myself, I'm just reacting to the "VM" keyword ;-)
32 > I agree with your comments on Chef and Puppet.
33 > Ansible looks nice and seems easy to manage. I miss an option to store the
34 > configuration inside a database, but I don't see an issue adding the
35 > generation of the config-files from database tables to the rest of the
36 > environment I am working on.
37
38 Ansible has an add-on called Tower that seems to do this. The marketing
39 blurb implies you can use almost any storage backend you like from MySQL
40 and PostGres to LDAP
43 > I like that Ansible also seems to support MS Windows nodes, just too bad that
44 > requires enabling it after install. But with this, cloning VMs and changing
45 > the network configs afterwards seems easier to manage.
46
47 I'm lucky, this is a Unix-only shop so I don't have to deal with Windows
48 servers. The three managers who have Windows laptops for varying reasons
49 have all been clearly told upfront they will support themselves and I
50 ain't touching it :-)
54 Alan McKinnon
55 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com