From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video with NVIDIA driver
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2020 23:42:50
1 On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 18:07:37 +0000, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2
3 > > -----Original Message-----
4 > > From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
5 > > Sent: Monday, June 8, 2020 18:07
6 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video
8 > > with NVIDIA driver
9 > >
10 > > You're missing device nodes in /dev that are needed before udev
11 > > populates it. Simply excluding the virtual filesystems as you have
12 > > results in these files not being copied as they are hidden behind the
13 > > virtual /dev/ mounted from used. The way I clone a root device is
14 > >
15 > > mkdir -p /mnt/root
16 > > mount --bind / /mnt/root
17 > > rsync -a /mnt/root/ /mnt/new/device/
18 > >
19 > > That preserves files that are otherwise hidden by mounted filesystems.
20 > >
21 > I tried this:
22 > # mkdir -p /mnt/root
23 > # mount --bind / /mnt/root
24 >
25 > The bind-mounted dev/ does not contain all devices, in particular the
26 > nvidia ones are missing. BTW, I thought these were created dynamically
27 > during the module load. Then, for a quick test: # rsync -a
28 > /mnt/root/dev/* /mnt/new/device/dev
29
30 It won't contain all devices, just the bare minimum needed to open a
31 console etc. The rest are created dynamically when udev starts, all you
32 need before then is enough to get you to that point.
35 > But it did not fix the issue.
36
37 Then you have a different problem, since the dev directory of the root
38 partition (which is not the same as /dev on the booted system) should now
39 contain the same on both disks.
43 Neil Bothwick
44
45 Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"