From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @preserved-rebuild EVEN IF some needed package is masked
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 22:05:02
1 Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 8 Jan 2010, at 08:06, Dale wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> But KDE still dropped the support tho? That was my point. It wasn't
6 >> Redhat, Gentoo, SuSe or some other distro or even me that dropped it,
7 >> it was KDE that dropped it.
8 >
9 > 62% of KDE's developers are unpaid volunteers. [1]
10 >
11 > "We program for the sheer joy and fun that comes out of putting out
12 > such an awesome product. This has nothing to do with market share,
13 > mind share, corporate attention, or any other outside influence." [2]
14 >
15 > Stroller.
20 > [1]
21 > https://fossbazaar.org/?q=content/differences-between-paid-and-volunteer-foss-contributors
22 >
23 > [2] http://www.kde.org/announcements/gfresponse.php
27 Honestly, I don't care if it is 100% volunteers. They dropped the
28 support and a LOT of people, including me, are at the very least not
29 happy about it. Some were pissed and switched to something else, I
30 heard some went to Fluxbox because it was quick to install and light.
31 Some are trying to "get by" with KDE 4. Some like me are trying to
32 continue using KDE 3 until KDE 4 is able to step up to the plate.
33
34 Isn't Gentoo based on all volunteers? You think Gentoo would just drop
35 portage like KDE dropped KDE 3? From my understanding, even some really
36 old versions of portage will still work. I could test this theory by
37 using my old Gentoo 1.4 CD on a test install.
38
39 So, as I have been saying all along, repeatedly, Gentoo did not drop the
40 ball here, KDE did. If KDE didn't drop the ball then why is Redhat
41 having to step up and do the job on the KDE developers?
42
43 Dale
44