From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Puzzled with duration of chromium emerge under profile 17.0
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 23:41:38
1 On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 20:13:50 GMT Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 06/12/2017 21:10, Mick wrote:
3 > > I discovered that building Chromium with gcc-6.4.0 is taking an
4 > > inordinately>
5 > > longer time on a laptop with 1st gen i7 and 4G of RAM, e.g.:
6 [snip...]
7
8 > Pure gut feel and intuition and nothing else leads me to look in two places:
9 >
10 > You use -march=native on the i7 so I assume the same on the Core2? Those
11 > are rather different processors, and google is fond of optimizing deeply
12 > for specific cases (common to all browsers I think). You'd have to ask a
13 > chromium hacker but I'd say the odds are good there are serious
14 > optimizations for i7 that stress your compiler out muchly.
15
16 Yes, I run -march=native on both.
17
18 > Add to that your i7 is RAM-constrained so you compensate with swap,
19 > which is easily 50,000 times slower with sucky latency.
20
21 Yes, it's ridiculously slow! :-(
24 > When you use a
25 > disk as RAM, performance tanks. Well, usually it causes a cascade effect
26 > and stuff blows up, but if it completes it will have done so slowly.
27 >
28 > If you at all can, shove lots more RAM in that i7. These days RAM is
29 > cheap and it's always by first performance tweak, then SSD.
30
31 I know that compiling in RAM would be done in a fraction of the time. The
32 thing is, this is a 8 year old laptop and I am resisting throwing good money
33 after bad. I had a quick look a few months ago and good quality memory will
34 cost me around £60. With the battery shot and the keyboard on its way out,
35 I'd rather put the money towards more memory for a newer PC, sometime in the
36 next year. ;-)
39 Regards,
40 Mick