From: Kirill Lipatov <kirilllipatov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The current correct way to start kde 4
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 04:04:40
1 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml This is the most
2 appropriate guide. However, I don't see any problem with just simple
3 universal install:
4
5 1) eix kde-meta packages and choose the ones you would like to install and
6 then simply emerge
7
8 # this would pull all of the kde packages
9 # emerge kde-meta
10
11 # if you would like just the basic set of packages
12 # emerge kdebase-meta
13
14 2) in your /etc/conf.d/xdm change the displaymanager option to simply "kdm"
15
16 # nano /etc/conf.d/xdm
17 ...
18 DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
19 ...
20
21 That'd be it :)
22
23 2009/12/28 Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
24
25 > Hi all,
26 > I've browsed the forums, documentation etc and can find a lot of
27 > options/opinions but nothing definitive. Can someone please point me at a
28 > document that outlines the current "correct" way to start kde 4. I wish to
29 > have kde as the default login manager for all users of a gentoo box.
30 >
31 > Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.
32 >
33 > Andrew