From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Automation: Ripping DVDs to disk
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:18:47
1 On Wednesday 16 March 2011 13:54:57 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 16/3/2011, at 12:44pm, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 09 March 2011 18:27:59 Stroller wrote:
4 > >> I've got a Perl script to wrapper `dvdbackup && mkisofs`, reduce
5 > >> typing a little and do some error-checking. ... In the next version
6 > >> I'd like to remove the "unskippable" flag from all titles / chapters,
7 > >> as it seems a little daft to have ripped all one's DVDs to a network
8 > >> RAID array, and yet still have to suffer the dumb FBI warnings. All
9 > >> the Windows rippers do this, so I assume it's possible to implement,
10 > >> but I have no idea how difficult.
11 > >
12 > > ...
13 > > As for the "unskippable" flag, I wonder if the other tools "rebuild" the
14 > > menu structure and remove it that way. I have in the past played with
15 > > making dvd- menus myself and it wasn't too hard. (following the howtos)
16 >
17 > That one can make DVD menus with GUI Linux applications indicates that it
18 > must be possible to make such changes. I would imagine (or at least hope)
19 > that it's not so much a case of rebuilding the menus from scratch, but just
20 > as case of flipping a single bit - the equivalent in a binary-file of
21 > changing "skippable=no" to "yes" in a text file.
22 >
23 > What programs have you used to make DVD menus in the past?
24
25 DVD Author, there are some howto's for it on the web, including on on the
26 gentoo forums:
27 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117709
28
29 I don't know how that menu works, but if anyone knows which file contains it,
30 we might be able to edit that bit.
31
32 If anyone knows how to create the "dvd-author" xml-config-files from an existing
33 DVD, I'm sure, with some clever scripting, we can amend that particular flag.
34 It is in my todo-list, but it doesn't have a very high priority at the moment.
37 Joost