From: Ed Santiago <ed@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypted Backups
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:26:52
1 Hi,
2
3 >I want to make backups from my laptop to a cardreader (pcmcia), making
4 >daily full and hourly incremental backups *if the card is plugged in*
5 >...
6 >Additionally I need some kind of encryption.
7
8 I highly recommend dar:
9
10 http://dar.linux.free.fr/
11
12 It handles incrementals well; has built-in encryption (with
13 optional unencrypted catalog, which is *very* nice); it groks
14 hardlinks and device nodes; it can create fixed-size slices,
15 e.g. for burning CDs/DVDs; and it handles deletes on restore.
16
17 The downside is that it can be a little clunky to invoke.
18 But that's what scripts are for. I wrote my own front end.
19
20 Good luck,
21 Ed
22 --