From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 23:10:13
1 Am 30.09.2013 00:53, schrieb Tanstaafl:
2 > On 2013-09-29 5:15 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Those numbers are not likely to change much with time, with one
4 >> exception:
5 >>
6 >> /usr/src
7 >>
8 >> That can get real big real quick if you don't clean up kernel sources
9 >> often. Ideally, you'd make that a suitably sized LV and mount it
10 >> seperately.
11 >
12 > Yeah, I always keep 2 or 3 known good kernels, and clean out the old
13 > stuff, so no worries there.
14 >
15 >> The other space consumer is /usr/share with it's many documentation
16 >> files. But those too tend to be stable once you have everything
17 >> installed. 5G free out of 19G is ~75% space in use which is perfectly
18 >> acceptable for this case.
19 >>
20 >> Regular monitoring of the state of your machines will tell you if space
21 >> usage increases so you can investigate and deal with it timeously.
22 >>
23 >> I assume you long since moved portage and it's storage directories out
24 >> of /usr into /var?
25 >
26 > Hmmm... No, I never did that myself...
27 >
28 > Wow...
29 >
30 > moria : Sun Sep 29, 18:19:01 : ~
31 > # du -sh /usr/*
32 > 85M /usr/bin
33 > 131M /usr/include
34 > 0 /usr/lib
35 > 11M /usr/lib32
36 > 530M /usr/lib64
37 > 51M /usr/libexec
38 > 15M /usr/local
39 > 7.8G /usr/portage
40 > 21M /usr/sbin
41 > 509M /usr/share
42 > 3.9G /usr/src
43 > 0 /usr/tmp
44 > 7.0M /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
45 > moria : Sun Sep 29, 18:26:30 : ~
46 > #
47 >
48 > Is this the official gentoo way now? Will a new/fresh virgin install
49 > have /var/portage instead of /usr/portage?
50 >
51 > I can eliminate almost 8GB by moving portage and its storage
52 > directories...
53 >
54 > I don't recall seeing a news item about that...
55 >
56 > But... is /usr/portage the default/recommended location? If so, then I
57 > don't think I want to move it - I generally never change defaults
58 > unless there is a very good reason to do so.
59 >
60 > But, is there some official gentoo docs online explaining how to do this?
61 >
62 > Something more to think about...
63 >
64 > Also - is there any kind of maintenance I shoudl be doing on
65 > /usr/portage to clean old cruft out? Or does portage maintain it already.
66 >
67 > :)
71 df -h
72 Dateisystem Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
73 /dev/root 59G 33G 24G 58% /
74 devtmpfs 7,8G 0 7,8G 0% /dev
75 tmpfs 1,6G 712K 1,6G 1% /run
76 shm 7,8G 1,1M 7,8G 1% /dev/shm
77 cgroup_root 10M 0 10M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
78 /dev/sda1 197M 17M 181M 9% /boot/efi
79 /dev/sde1 110G 82G 23G 79% /home/energyman
80 tmpfs 1,0G 3,4M 1021M 1% /tmp
81 zfstank/data 3,6T 1,9T 1,8T 52% /mnt/data
82 zfstank/var 100G 16G 85G 16% /var
83 zfstank 1,8T 256K 1,8T 1% /zfstank
84
85 and I put PORTDIR into /var ages ago. I hate 'moving targets' like
86 PORTDIR in a static place like /usr.
87 7,8G /var/portage
88 6,5G /var/packages
89
90 but seriously, if seperate /usr is so important for you - running
91 genkernel really IS easy...