From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Grub broke out of the blue
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 04:17:28
1 I've no idea how it broke, but after an emerge --sync, a kernel
2 (gentoo-sources) update was there. After I compiled the kernel, I did
3 the usual "make modules_install && make install". I edited grub.conf
4 only to the point of changing the booted kernel to the new one (just a
5 matter of changing -r1 to -r2 at the end of the kernel filename). I
6 reboot, Grub stops working. It just displays "GRUB" and hangs there.
7
8 What might have cause this? /boot is a 50MB ext3 partition with 14MB
9 free. I had to boot from a live CD and make sda1 bootable (Windows XP)
10 so I can get online and burn a repair CD that supports ext4 (/).