From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to make a boot menu?
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 19:01:13
1 Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 17 April 2022 17:48:04 BST Martin Vaeth wrote:
3 >> Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
5 >> >
6 >> > On Sunday, 17 April 2022 16:52:34 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
7 >> >> > Why not try rEFInd? It handles UEFI booting simply, without the
8 >> >> > no-longer-needed bloat of GRUB.
9 >> >>
10 >> >> Hm. If I'm reading the wiki right, it can't handle choice of run levels
11 >> >> with a selected kernel. Or is that wrong?
12 >> >
13 >> > From what I understand you should be able to tweak kernel command line
14 >> > options in /boot/EFI/gentoo/refind_linux.conf.
15 >>
16 >> You can only choose between fixed combinations. Nothing like the
17 >> possibilities of grub to choose e.g. options for resolution in one
18 >> variable, options for boot system in another variable etc and to
19 >> combine all of those (without adding an exponential number of
20 >> options to select from). Not to speak about the possibility to
21 >> edit the command line freely.
22 >
23 > I see. I never had to customise the default set up in depth, or at all from
24 > what I recall. Perhaps GRUB with a manually edited grub.cgf is the solution
25 > to these particular user requirements
26
27 Yes, without a manually written grub.cfg you get none of these features -
28 the default grub.cfg is just horrible.
29 Well, the most powerful feature is probably still available:
30 The possibility to edit the kernel's command line, partition and path which
31 theoretically can cover everything else, though it is rather inconvenient.