From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xine - no sound on DVDs - solved (sort of)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 00:48:27
1 Hi,
2 Message is to Randy and others that have been helping me with my
3 audio problems with xine. This evening I discovered the root cause of
4 the problem of no sound when playing DVDs in xine. Unfortunately I
5 don't have a good solution yet. Maybe someone knows how to fix this at
6 the command line?
7
8 OK, xine does produce sound, but this machine has multiple sound
9 cards and it's choosing the one that goes to the home theater system,
10 not the PC's sound card:
11
12 mark@dragonfly ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
13 0 [ICH5 ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
14 Intel ICH5 with ALC655 at 0xfa081000, irq 21
15 1 [default ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio CODEC
16 Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC
17 at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full s
18 mark@dragonfly ~ $
19
20 When I thought of this possibility I turned on the HT receiver,
21 switched to the correct input and low and behold DVD audio was
22 playing. Didn't test to see if it's 5.1. The HT receiver is hooked to
23 the USB device which seems to be marked as 'default'. However hardware
24 setup hasn't changed and earlier versions of xine went to the internal
25 card so something has changed.
26
27 I don't see anything in /etc/modules.d/alsa that defines the second
28 card as default. Does anyone know how Alsa does that?
29
30 It's possible that Alsa getting too cleaver by half and somehow
31 'deciding' that the USB interface is more suited to doing 5.1 than the
32 internal card. If it is then shame on it I say. ;-)
33
34 Two potential solutions come to mind:
35
36 1) At the xine command line tell it which card to use. I'm looking
37 through the xine --help listing but heck if I see how to do that.
38
39 2) Somehow tell also to make card 0 default and see if that fixes the problem.
40
41 Anyway, so the problem is partially solved. I can go the xine-users
42 list and see if anyone there has a quick fix for this. At least it's
43 starting to make some sense.
44
45 Thanks in advance for any ideas.
46
47 Cheers,
48 Mark
49
50 # Alsa 0.9.X kernel modules' configuration file.
51 # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-sound/alsa-utils/files/alsa-modules.conf-rc,v
52 1.4 2004/11/16 01:31:22 eradicator Exp $
53
54 # ALSA portion
55 alias char-major-116 snd
56 # OSS/Free portion
57 alias char-major-14 soundcore
58
59 ##
60 ## IMPORTANT:
61 ## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
62 ## and then run `update-modules' command.
63 ## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
64 ##
65 ## ALSA portion
66 alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
67 options snd-intel8x0 index=0
68
69 alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
70 options snd-usb-audio index=1
71
72 ## OSS/Free portion
73 alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
74 alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
75 ##
76
77 # OSS/Free portion - card #1
78 alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
79 alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
80 alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
81 alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
82 alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
83 ## OSS/Free portion - card #2
84 alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
85 alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
86 alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
87
88 alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
89 alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
90 alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
91
92 # Set this to the correct number of cards.
93 options snd cards_limit=2
94 --
95 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list