From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] AMD64 on board video
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:55:29
1 I just put together an amd64 system with the following motherboard:
2
3 ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2
4 http://www.asrock.com/product/product_939NF4G-SATA2.htm
5
6 This mobo has an on board NVIDIA GeForce 6100 that uses shared memory.
7 Here is what the product specs say about the on board video:
8 - Integrated NV44 graphics DX9.0 VGA
9 - Pixel Shader 3.0
10 - Max. shared memory 128MB
11
12 The system I replaced had a 64MB Geforce 3 Ti 500 that let me play Doom3
13 and other OpenGL games just fine.
14
15 I was going to get a PCI-e based Nvidia, however I did not because I
16 thought the on board GeForce 6100 would be at *least* as fast as my
17 older Gefore 3. So I spent the money I saved from not buying a video
18 card to upgrade to 2GB of dual channel DDR400.
19
20 I am still building my gentoo system now, though I have fluxbox and X up
21 and running. I am wondering if I messed something up because I am only
22 getting about 1,700 fps on glxgears. My Gefore 3 Ti 500 would do 3,000+.
23
24 glxinfo:
25
26 name of display: :0.0
27 display: :0 screen: 0
28 direct rendering: Yes
29 server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
30 server glx version string: 1.3
31
32 Here is the nvidia stuff I have installed:
33
34 eix -c nvidia
35 media-video/nvidia-glx (1.0.8178): NVIDIA X11 driver and GLX libraries
36 media-video/nvidia-kernel (1.0.8178-r3): Linux kernel module for the
37 NVIDIA X11 driver
38
39 Did I leave anything out that is needed for nvidia on an amd64? Or
40 should I not expect anything more from the on board NVIDIA GeForce 6100
41 even though it is running over PCI-e?
42
43 Thanks,
44
45 Jim