From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: confessions of a former USE=
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:09:04
1 »Q« <boxcars <at> gmx.net> writes:
4 > tl;dr: Getting rid of USE="-*" was a lot easier than I'd expected. A
5 > little rebuilding, a lot of (easy) USE flag pruning, and I'm done.
6
7 > Until yesterday, I've had USE="-*" for years.
8
9 I've only used (USE="-*") for small systems like firewalls, devices,
10 or other minimized servers. If you think about it, most of us,
11 on a workstation, what everything that will work. The exception being
12 somebody with meager resources or other minimizations that warrant constraint.
15 > Most of the time spent was actually looking at USE flag descriptions,
16 > which continue to suck.
19 I don't mind this so much, as when flags become deprecated and there
20 is no notification, or a tool, to ferret out such dead-flags....
23 Enjoyed reading your confessions....
26 James