From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Accidentally reformatted my EVMS root partition. Any hope of recovering data?
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:19:58
1 On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 17:47 -0700, Robert Persson wrote:
2 > I have, much to my intense surprise, managed to reformat my root
3 > partition unintentionally. It was an EVMS native reiserfs volume, but
4 > now it is a normal xfs partition. I haven't, as far as I am aware,
5 > written any files to it since the unfortunate accident.
6
7 did you actually _format_ it, or just repartition it?
8
9 I see three possible options:
10 1. repartition it, hoping the filesystem has not been touched
11 2. run an undelete tool on it (don't know if they exist for reiser,
12 certainly not for ext3
13 3. give up!
14
15 If you "formatted" it, ie wrote "zero's" all over the place (or whatever
16 a format does), then good luck, you'll need an "undelete", if there is
17 such a beast for reiser.
18
19 If you just repartitioned it (ie. wrote to the partition table that it
20 was now an xfs instead of reiserfs) and you've done nothing else, not
21 even mounted it since, then you _should_ just be able to use fdisk to
22 redo the partition table.
23
24 Use caution! I'd back up the drive with dd or something first, just in
25 case you screw it up.
26
27 repartitioning doesn't necessarily screw with the actual data on the
28 drive - just the partition table. I once blew away my partition table
29 by mistake, and rebuilt it by trial and error by guessing how big the
30 partition where from memory, and then mounting them to see if I got it
31 right.
32
33 Of course, if you've run anything like mkfs over the partition then
34 you're probably screwed.
35
36 > The tool I used to create the xfs partition was a non-standard, and
37 > quite possibly inferior one with non-standard behaviour.
38
39 so long as it created the partition without mkfs-ing it!
40
41 > P.S. In case you are wondering how I managed to do this, it was like
42 > this:
43 [snip]
44 > Honestly. How could I pass up such a splendid opportunity?
45
46 *lol* you can't let an opportunity like that pass by...
47
48 HTH.
52 Surly to bed, surly to rise, makes you about average.
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list