From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trouble with backup harddisks
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 08:39:22
1 On 05/02 09:49, Andrea Conti wrote:
2 > > I think, I feel better if I repartitioning/reformat both drives,
3 > > though.
4 >
5 > It's not necessary, but if it makes you feel better by all means do so.
6 >
7 > > *GPT/MBR
8 > > From a discussion based on a "GPT or MBR for my system drive" in
9 > > conjunction with UEFI it was said, that GPT is more modern and
10 > > save.
13 > More modern I concur. For the rest it's mainly about features: >2TB partitions and way more metadata, plus not having to bother with CHS values which make no sense in today's drives.
14 > And being able to define >4 partitions without littering the disk with extended boot records, which is probably the only thing I'd call "safer".
15 >
16 > My point was that none of this is relevant in an external drive which is under 1TB and will only hold a single partition starting at sector 1 and spanning the rest of the disk.
17 > A system drive, especially if booting from UEFI is a different case for which GPT absolutely makes sense.
20 Ok, the other way around: Does GPT hurt more than MBT on a external HD
21 used for backup puporses (no boot), has 1T and 1 partion of that size?
24 > > My question was meant not so much as "MBR or GPT?"
25 > > but more whether there are some variants of GPT (with
26 > > protected MBR for example -- which was completly new to me),
27 > > which I should use or avoid.
28 >
29 > There are really no "variants" of GPT. The protective MBR is only there to make all space in the disk look allocated to MBR partitioning tools that are not GPT-aware, and is automatically written for you by all GPT partitioning tools.
30 >
31 > In addition to the opaque entry of type 0xee, this MBR can also contain entries pointing to at least some of the actual partitions; this is called a 'hybrid' MBR and allows MBR-only access to partitions that are within the limits of MBR addressing (start and end sector <2TB). These are only useful in very specific cases an I would consider them a hack more than a solution; while gpt-fdisk has some support for creating hybrid MBRs (don't know about fdisk), you won't get one unless you specifically ask for it.
32 >:
33
34 Thanks of the information! :)
35
36 > > But: Are rescue systems for USB-stick more UEFI/GPT aware nowadays
37 > > or "traditionally" based on MBR/BIOS-boot?
38 >
39 > I think that anything that's not ancient will have tools and kernel support for both MBR and GPT, and will boot fine in both BIOS and UEFI modes.
40 >
41 > > One thing I found is really handy: An USB-stick with an rEfind
42 > > installation. As long as your PC supports UEFI (or can switched to it)
43 > > rEfind is able to boot "everything" without prior configuration.
44 >
45 > You can probably do the same with GRUB2, albeit in a way less user-friendly fashion :)
46 > But why do you consider the ability to boot anything but the rescue system itself important in a rescue system?
47
48 Recently a BIOS update deleted all UEFI entries and the system no
49 longer boots. With rEfind from a USBstick I was able to boot
50 the sustem nonetheless and the reinstallation of grub solves
51 the problem.
52 Task accomplished! :)
55 > > Some rescue-system which really shines and with which you have made good
56 > > experiences?
57 >
58 > My usual go-to is SystemRescueCD (the old 5.x gentoo-based one).
59 >
60 > andrea
61
62 Thanks for the info, Andrea!