From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading gcc from 6.4 to 7.3
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:17:12
1 On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 11:43:32 BST gevisz wrote:
2 > After updating portage tree today, portage
3 > suggested to upgrade gcc from 6.4 to 7.3
4 > version what I have done just now.
5 >
6 > Nevertheless,
7 > # gcc-config --list-profiles
8 > [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-6.4.0 *
9 > [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-7.3.0
10 > shows that I still have version 6.4 as a default.
11
12 I'm on gcc-7.3.0-r3 and have not noticed any problems on 3 boxen so far.
15 > As https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_GCC
16 > still do not have any specific instructions on
17 > switching to gcc version 7.3, I am still afread
18 > of switching to gcc version 7.3 and would like
19 > to ask if anybody encountered some problem
20 > after switching to gcc version 7.3 and which
21 > packages should be rebuild after such switching.
22 >
23 > Thank you in advance for your help.
24
25 I didn't have to rebuild anything, but if you have reasons to fear breakage
26 you can rebuild your toolchain:
27
28 1. Use gcc-config to select x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-7.3.0
29 2. Re-source /etc/profile by running in your current console/terminal:
30 . /etc/profile
31 3. Re-emerge libtool:
32 emerge -1 sys-devel/libtool
33 4. Re-emerge the following packages in this order:
34 emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc-7.3.0-r3
35 emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils
36 emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc
37 5. You could if you want re-emerge your entire system, 'emerge -e @world' or
38 if you would rather conserve electricity wait as different packages come up
39 for an update over time.
40
41 If my experience to date holds true and for a general purpose desktop none of
42 the above rebuilds are necessary, other than switching your gcc to 7.3.0.
45 Regards,
46 Mick