From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome intrusion?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 19:46:02
1 On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 15/11/2016 21:23, Jorge Almeida wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>> On 2016-11-14 23:52, Jorge Almeida wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Good to know. I'm currently testing openbox without dbus-launch. No
7 >>>> problem yet.
8 >>>
9 >>> Do you _know_ a reason you need dbus, at all?
10 >>
11 >> No.
12 >>
13 >>>
14 >>> If you don't, you don't need it ;-)
15 >>
16 >> I would like to believe that.
17 >>
18 >>>
19 >>> Typically, a lot of GUI apps have dbus as a soft dependency for the sole
20 >>> purpose of avoiding multiple instances. So starting the app for the
21 >>> second time just activates (in some general sense) the old window.
22 >>
23 >> Seems harmless enough. But how did they manage to convince nearly
24 >> everybody that dbus is the best invention next to sliced bread?
27 > because dbus is actually a *good* thing for gui environments more than a
28 > simple window manager?
29 >
30 > Because ONE ipc mechanism - dbus - can replace a plethora of home-grown,
31 > half-baked ipc methods that in total consume far more resources than dbus?
32 >
33 > dbus is a message bus, that's all it is. Simple. light, easy, gets the
34 > job done in environments where lots of bits have to chat to each other.
37 Sure. Discussing details is beyond my league. Nevertheless, I cannot
38 help thinking "vendor locking". Others may disagree about the
39 "simple" and "light" (http://skarnet.org/software/skabus/) but I'm not
40 qualified to decide...
41
42 Jorge Almeida