From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 20:27:02
1 On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:53:42 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > What happens if you reboot after unmerging "c", and its absence causes
5 > > the system to fail to boot? What if you remove something that stops
6 > > emerge working?
9 > Highly unlikely. For two reasons:
10 >
11 > 1) How come that I was able to boot w/o the package in question in first
12 > place? :)
13
14 You did have the package. ??/i mentioned rebooting after removing it, so
15 it was there before.
16
17 > 2) The kind of package you're talking about is listed in the system
18 > profile. If you try to remove such a package portage yells out a big fat
19 > warning.
20
21 Not necessarily, it is possible to break things with non-system packages.
22
23 > Last but not least. When it comes to redundant packages in the system.
24 > What happens when you do (the right way?):
25 >
26 > 1) emerge a
27 > 2) "a" pulls-in "b" and "c" as dependencies
28 > 3) emerge -C a
29 > 4) "a" goes out but "b" and "c" stay there just to take place
30 > 5) emerge --depclean
31 >
32 > Well...The first thing one can see reads:
33 > " *** WARNING *** --depclean is known to be broken."
34 >
35 > So you prefer to clean the system up using procedure that is "known to
36 > be broken" or you just leave useless packages to take space on your
37 > HDDs?
38
39 That text is fairly old and hardly applies any more, at least in my
40 experience. As Richard mentioned, it can fall over when USE flags have
41 changed, but the rest of the earning, that you didn't quote, tells you to
42 run emerge --update --newuse --deep before using it. If you do so, your
43 USE flags will be consistent and it won't break things. I always use it
44 with --ask anyway.
45
46 > It is my opinion that Gentoo's documentation and portage's behavior
47 > suggest leaving junk packages on your system.
48 > Which indeed is "the right way"?
49
50 Only if you break the file it uses to determine which packages are junk.
54 Neil Bothwick
55
56 Good fortune will find you provided you left clear instructions.