From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive click of death?
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 12:38:40
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 03 Oct 2015 12:23:47 Dale wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >>> Hi All,
5 >>>
6 >>> Recently I noticed that an old drive is clicking 3 or 4 times when it is
7 >>> powered up. Thereafter is stays quiet. I think it is a mechanical
8 >>> fault, because I placed the box on its side and the drive did not click
9 >>> when booting up.
10 >>>
11 >>> I ran smartctl short/long/conveyance tests and no errors are reported.
12 >>>
13 >>> In your experience is this something to concern myself with? There is
14 >>> not business critical data on the drive at present.
15 >> I have found that if SMART reports a error, it is good to replace it as
16 >> soon as you can. When a drive makes a noise that isn't normal, that's
17 >> also a sign that you need to replace it. If you google around for that
18 >> model of drive, you may can find where others have had the same and they
19 >> shed some light on what happened, it died, it ran for ages and is normal
20 >> or something else.
21 >>
22 >> Right now, backups would be a good idea. Doing some drive shopping
23 >> would to unless google turns up something that says it is nothing to
24 >> worry about, doubtful tho.
25 >>
26 >> Dale
27 >>
28 >> :-) :-)
29 > I don't know if I am getting more nostalgic in my old days, but it is things
30 > like this that make me like spinning drives. More often than not they give
31 > some kind of warning. :-)
32 >
33 > That said I've not yet had an SSD going sideways on me.
37 I plan to get me a SSD one of these days. I'm going to let them work
38 out the kinks first tho, at someone else's expense that can afford the
39 things.
40
41 At least bearings do give a warning. The SMART tool can give early
42 warnings too. I have had SMART save my data twice now.
43
44 Dale
45