From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ASUS 1005HA: some strange bugs [solved]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:36:20
1 091110 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I've got my netbook basically set up to do what I need,
3 > but there are 3 problems remaining, which seem to be fairly basic bugs.
4
5 I've managed to solve all 3 or actually 2 , as it turned out (smile).
6
7 > (1) I've already mentioned the problem of compiling Lm_sensors.
8 > Dale refered to Bug 282261, whose conclusion seems to be
9 > to try the latest testing version 3.1.1 , which I will do tomorrow.
10
11 3.1.1 did compile, but when I ran 'sensors-detect' it couldn't find any
12 & advised "common on laptops, where it's handled by ACPI".
13 So I had another look at Gkrellm & when I clicked the little triangle,
14 it did in fact show a temperatures sensor 'thermalzone/TZ00',
15 which is shown in the display after it has been enabled: '51 C'.
16 So no need for Lm-sensors or Xmbmon: unmerged & the temperature still shows.
17
18 > (2) Fluxbox is working nicely, as it does on my desktop machine ANB3,
19 > but I thought I'ld have a look at Xfce, which looks nice in SystemRescue.
20 > Xfce opens as root, but not as user ! -- It ought to be a permissions error,
21 > but there's no sign where it might be happening. There's an error msg
22 > "Module fbcon not found", but that may not be the real problem.
23
24 Indeed, that is not the real problem, even tho' tagged 'FATAL'.
25 I found Gentoo bug 275659, which says "Xfdesktop needs access
26 to Hal's pluggable devices, ie in /etc/group 'plugdev ... <user>'".
27 When I fixed that, it still choked, but now showed a sensible msg:
28 "xfce4-session: can't open ~/.ICEauthority : permission denied".
29 Yes, it was owned by root ! -- 'chown' fixed it & Xfce started normally.
30 It remains possible that ~/.ICEauthority wb wrongly owned at next boot,
31 but at least I can get Xfce started & look into the cause if it happens.
32
33 > (3) Dillo "can't start dpi daemon" (no such problem on ANB3).
34 > I can't find anything sensible & have no idea what that daemon mb.
35
36 After fixing Xfce, Dillo also started normally,
37 so it looks as if it was the same problem.
41 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
42 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
43 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca