From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gracefully shut down program by request through ssh?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 00:02:47
1 On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:09:57 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > > It seems a little underhand to me, either its open source or it isn't.
4 > > There's no good technical reason to not release the USB source, only
5 > > commercial reasons.
6
7 > I agree, but it may be that Sun had licensed stuff like this from
8 > someone else prior to making the project Open Source and cannot
9 > release it.
10
11 That's possible, but reading what they say about it makes me doubt that,
12 that this was a choice they made.
13
14 > I didn't like some of the language on that page where they said:
15 >
16 > "It is functionally equivalent to the full VirtualBox package, except
17 > for a few features that primarily target enterprise customers."
18
19 Since when was USB storage primarily for Enterprise users?
20
21 > I don't like it when they say 'functionally equivalent' as it makes me
22 > think it's not __exactly__ the same code.
23
24 Good point. This seems more like crippleware masquerading as open source.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 "A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all."