From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] new box working well: 2 small problems
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:57:57
1 My new machine is working well & thanks again for various advice
2 (see earlier msgs for details of hardware etc).
3 I set up LVM & had to enable a few things in the kernel,
4 but the only real obstacle was the graphics chip -- Intel on the mobo -- ,
5 whose driver is simply not ready yet, so I bought an Nvidia card.
6 The system is the same (except 64-bit), except that I'm using Firefox
7 after finding it required 50 pkgs to install Epiphany (grimace).
8 On average, CPU-intensive tasks take 40 % as long as previously
9 (Intel E6750 + 1066 MHz memory now, AMD Athlon 2500+ + 400 MHz before).
10
11 2 small irritants remain. (1) CPU temperatures are inaccurate:
12 when I start from cold in a room at 26 C (by my everyday thermometer),
13 BIOS shows both CPUs at 8 C : the graphics chip is also misread,
14 but the other direction, showing 44 C ; clearly, both sb room-temperature.
15 Currently, both are showing 23 C in Gkrellm (room is 28 C ).
16 I can correct the GPU in Gkrellm, but the CPU temperatures defy change:
17 settings boxes are grey & editing ~/.gkrellm2/sensor-config has no effect.
18 Moreover, there is a warning in the kernel messages ('dmesg'):
19
20 CPU0: Thermal monitoring enabled (TM2)
21 ...
22 CPU1: Thermal monitoring enabled (TM2)
23 ...
24 coretemp coretemp.0: Using undocumented features,
25 absolute temperature might be wrong!
26 coretemp coretemp.1: Using undocumented features,
27 absolute temperature might be wrong!
28
29 I searched the Forum & tried Google without much success
30 & 'coretemp' does not appear as a 'chip' in /etc/sensors.conf .
31 It looks like a driver problem, perhaps compounded by Gkrellm.
32
33 (2) I'm having random freezes when using the diskette (floppy) drive:
34 insert a disk, enter an Mtools cmd & the only way out is the reset button.
35 I swapped drive+cable with the previous box without any effect.
36 'Alt-SysRq-K' has no effect. It has not happened before going back to 2000.
37 Hald detects the drive on start-up with a distinct "clunk" from the box.
38 Might it be a mobo defect ? -- perhaps they don't test floppies much today.
39
40 Has anyone else encountered either of these problems or have a suggestion ?
44 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
45 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
46 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list