From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] suggest SSD partitioning
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 21:40:47
1 pat@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've bought a new SSD and I want to install gentoo on it. I'd like to
5 > heare some suggestions how to partition it. I'm planning small /boot
6 > partition, / partition and /data (including home) partition. But I'm
7 > not sure if I should create a swap partition or swap to file. I'm
8 > daily hibernating the system to disk. And what should be the size od
9 > the swap same as RAM or bigger?
10 >
11 > Thanks
12 >
13 > Pat
14 >
15 > ----------------------------------------
16 > Freehosting PIPNI - http://www.pipni.cz/
22 This is some info from my system.  I use KDE and the size of /usr is a
23 bit large since I have Kicad and some other software I can't recall the
24 name of installed.  Kicad has some huge libraries installed so it takes
25 up a little over 5GBs of space on its own.  That said, allowing extra
26 space if you don't use something like LVM that can be expanded is a good
27 idea.  Software is growing.  You may need to add some directories
28 together depending on how or even if you have separate partitions for
29 some things.  Ignore /home here.  Info:
32 root@fireball / # du -shc /*
33 144G    /backup
34 11M     /bin
35 159M    /boot
36 33M     /etc
37 8.4T    /home
38 1.8G    /lib
39 19M     /lib64
40 16K     /lost+found
41 24K     /mnt
42 741M    /opt
43 0       /proc
44 193M    /root
45 1.6M    /run
46 16M     /sbin
47 5.8M    /tmp
48 20G     /usr
49 21G     /var
50 8.6T    total
51 root@fireball / #
54 In the past, I had log files go weird and fill up /var.  Since then,
55 I've put /var on a separate partition.  On mine, yours may be as well,
56 the portage tree, distfiles and packages are also in /var.
57
58 If you need additional info, just post back.  Otherwise, hope this helps.
59
60 Dale
61