From: chris <lostpkts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 07:24:42
1 On 4/19/07, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 > Hey Chris....
5 >
6 > Would you take the time and post what motherboard the Supermicro is plugged
7 > into and whether you are running 32bit or 64bit Gentoo?
8 >
9 > Thank you, in advance.
12 > --
15 > Jerry McBride
16 > --
17 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
20 Sure thing. :)
21
22 Mobo: Asus P4S800-MX
23
24 1x Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 (replaced 2x Promise SATA300TX4)
25 1x Promise SATA300TX4
26
27 The Supermicro is hooked into just a normal PCI slot, not PCI-X. I'm
28 sure there is a performance hit but I can't notice it if there is.
29 The 8 drives hooked to it are hooked via 2 multilane cables to an
30 external enclosure. The Promise is driving 4 drives in the server
31 itself. This is the cable kit I bought 2 of:
32 http://www.cooldrives.com/multilane-adapter-kit.html
33
34 Gentoo is installed on a small 20g drive (hda).
35
36 I'm running a 32bit Gentoo. I upgraded from 2.6.17-r8 to 2.6.19-r5.
37 The reason was .19 had the Marvel SATA driver in it. mv_sata or
38 sata_mv, I can't remember offhand the right way to type it. I just
39 compiled (with genkernel) the Marvel driver into the kernel, and
40 booted up the box with the Supermicro installed and my Raid5 array on
41 those 8 disks was back up with no issue. I originally built the
42 server with the 3 Promise cards in there. when I found out about the
43 Supermicro card, I looked in my config for .17 and did off hand see a
44 Marvel driver but it was in the .19 one so I upgraded.
45
46 This frees up a PCI slot so I can put in a gigabit nic since the built
47 on nic is only 10/100. :)
48
49 I know of others that are running uber raid servers with multiple of
50 those Supermicro cards installed in a system. I know of at least 1
51 person on some boards I peruse that is running with 30 drives w/ 4 of
52 them in a box. But I don't think he's running Gentoo. :(
53
54 Promise as a PCI-X card as well but it won't work in a normal PCI slot
55 like the Supermicro one will. Plus the Promise card is more
56 expensive.
57
58 # lspci
59 <snip>
60 00:09.0 Mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC40718
61 (SATA 300 TX4) (rev 02)
62 00:0a.0 SCSI storage controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
63 MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller (rev 09)
66 Hope this helps.
67 --
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list