From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The new Gentoo user and the Kernel
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:14:38
1 130305 Henson Sturgill wrote:
2 > I'm new to Gentoo,
3
4 Welcome ! -- you should find this list friendly & useful.
5
6 > ... but really loving the amount of control it provides
7 > I'm guessing all Gentoo-users are control freaks?
8
9 We tend to build our own machines -- this is a good source of info --
10 & like to have them do what we want, not some lowest common denominator,
11 but Gentoo is not about overclocking or neurotic fine-tuning.
12
13 > During my initial install, I forgot to enable tmpfs
14 > -- though it was clearly printed in the manual.
15
16 Yes, always follow the manual & if necessary go back & do it again.
17
18 > While looking for a solution, I saw countless forum posts
19 > from users with the same "problem". Which makes me wonder.
20
21 The Forum cb useful occasionally, but the noise/signal is far too high :
22 it's the student cafeteria, whereas this is the staff common-room.
23
24 > Why not patch the default config to have these items enabled?
25
26 At this point, the answer is probably : "Patch it yourself".
27 That's the Gentoo attitude : if you need advice how to, then ask here.
28
29 > Is it a way to force users into reading documentation
30 > and becoming more self sufficient,
31 > or are we just trying to stay true to upstream developers?
32
33 Probably partly both.
37 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
38 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
39 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca