From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFS: cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(2,0)
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:00:28
1 On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:48:46 +0200
2 Miernik <public@××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
3
4 > I am installing a new system with 2008.0 on an USB pendrive as the
5 > only disk in the machine, and at boot I get this error:
6 >
7 > VFS: cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(2,0)
8 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
9 > partitions:
10
11 My experience of USB drives is that they take about 20 seconds to come
12 up, meaning a root device on one will fail with that error message.
13 There are (at least) 2 working fixes that I am aware off.
14
15 The first is us an initrd to delay the mounting root until the USB
16 device is available. The second is to pass an argument to the kernel
17 that does the same thing, IIRC "sleep=30", but I have never used this
18 particular trick, so you will want to check it.
19
20 Either way, my money, based on my experience with using a USB
21 hard-disk, is on it being a problem with /dev/sda2 not being available
22 at mount.
23
24 Rob
25 --