From: Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux Fiber SAN
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:12:17
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I tend to disagree. A correctly designed SAN (using dual Fabric among
5 > other things) is a lot more stable and has a lot better performance than
6 > any NAS (NFS, CIFS, iSCSI) solution. One other thing that also needs to
7 > be correctly configured to have a stable SAN infrastructure is the
8 > servers on it (Multipathing, partition alignment, queue depth, ...)
9 > according to the storage vendors recommendation.
10 > LUN expansion/shrink is storage vendor specific, some can not (netapp
11 > apparently) but others can.
12 >
13 > Just my 2 cents.
14 >
15 > Regards,
16 > --
17 > Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
18 > ***************************************************
19 > This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!
20 > ***************************************************
24 Hello Dan,
25
26 Thank you so much. As mentioned earlier I am a new to SAN, and the approach
27 we are taking given our limited budget is to purchase an IBM with
28 sufficient hdd bays and PCI bus, plugging a PCIe raid card as well as an
29 HBA (or two as you mentioned), and installing SCST or ESOS, and going from
30 their. Would you be kind enough to give more details about your SAN setup
31 in respect to HBA, raid adapters, software etc... I understand that you
32 could be using a black box from HP etc.., but just a general idea.
33
34 Kind Regards,
35
36 Nick.