From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:17:49
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:07:30 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>> It makes sense because the ramdisk is using memory that would
6 >>> otherwise be used for compilation and filesystem caches.
7 >>>
8 >
9 >> I have 16Gbs here. It's not like I'm going to run out or anything. I
10 >> can put half on tmpfs and still have 8Gbs left. That is more than
11 >> enough to compile even OOo with no space problems.
12 >>
13 > I wasn't thinking of systems with that much memory. Like you, I'd expect
14 > your system to be faster, even if not by much, using tmpfs.
20 That's what I was expecting too. It is confusing for sure.
21
22 Speaking of tmpfs, I should have re-emerged OOo on tmpfs. It filled up
23 /var and died, just a few minutes before it would have finished. Oh
24 well, I'll make /var bigger next time. Maybe a couple more Gbs. I put
25 that http-replicator on here when I decided to keep my old rig up to
26 date and it just eats up my /var. I guess I could move http* directory
27 tho. ^_^
28
29 I really need to figure out this hard drive issue right now tho. That's
30 buggin me a lot.
31
32 Dale
33