From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser advice
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:56:49
1 > No, I don't. Maybe you don't have the whole thread present to memory.
2 > I mentioned the reason why I want to dump FF. Once. And I asked for the
3 > list members to share their experiences/impressions/opinions about
4 > _other_ browsers. I didn't ask for sympathy nor for help with my FF
5 > troubles. If some people chose to give suggestions about it, I
6 > appreciate it and reply to them, but my intentions about FF are not
7 > bound to change. (They might if an _explanation_ arose, as opposite to
8 > a workaround which may work today but maybe not tomorrow.)
9
10 I remember perfectly, but more often than not people do the wrong
11 question to solve their problems.
12 Your actual problem seemed to be: "Firefox has bug X". You want to dump
13 FF to workaround bug X. We are suggesting other ways to workaround the bug.
14
15 > No. There are not many OSs left. I like Linux, but I would prefer a more
16 > let's-understand-it and less let's-push-buttons attitude from the
17 > general community. Still, the world is what it is and it's not up to me
18 > to judge...
19
20 1) That's exactly what we are doing. Changing a browser doesn't let you
21 understand anything. Digging the FF guts maybe will prove to be useful,
22 even if now perhaps it is not, and not only to you.
23
24 For example, I discovered the trick of the text file just by looking at
25 about:config, searching for the FF search plugins and looking at the
26 file it pointed.
27
28 > And I don't mind at all editing config files, I find it much better than
29 > clicking boxes in some half-baked "wizard". It's just that I appreciate
30 > knowing what I'm doing, I'm not a fan of the "JustWorks(TM)".
31
32 Again, that's exactly what we're trying to do together.
33
34 > Since my experience seems to be unique, it's hard to give data about how
35 > to reproduce the problem.
36
37 Looking for it/filing it would be useful anyway. People of the FF team
38 surely know better than us what the problem could be.
39
40 m.
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list