From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Piggy Bank as a screen scraper
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 07:32:21
1 I glanced over an article about Piggy Bank, <http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/
2 Piggy_Bank>, which interests me as a screen scraper.
3
4 What I have in mind are RSS feeds from <http://www.craigslist.org/>.
5 Now, I can setup Feed-on-Feeds <http://code.google.com/p/feed-on-feeds/>
6 so that lotsa data from Craigslist downloads into the MySQL database.
7
8 However, much of the useful detail is buried in the text :(
9
10 So, this now makes me think of screen scraping the Feed-on-Feeds
11 interface. Kinda backwards, I'm sure others would come up with something
12 more sophisticated, directly accessing the database, but...
13
14 Anyhow, my thinking is to use this piggy bank to break down, get at, some
15 of the data. Then I can add that to the database to better track, well,
16 whatever.
17
18 Just kinda excited at the prospect of a new tool :)
19
20 While piggy bank may not really be Linux specific, and definitely not
21 Gentoo specific, I just really like the way the different Linux magazines
22 talk about software and tools, getting things done :)
25 -Thufir
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list