From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Install CD : was Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:42:12
1 080111 Michael Schmarck wrote:
2 > Shaochun Wang <scwang@××××××.cn> wrote:
3 >> Currently, Gentoo has not updated its installation CD for a long time!
4 > Well, actually, I never used a Gentoo install CD to install Gentoo.
5 > I also don't quite understand, why anyone would need such a beast.
6 > To install Gentoo, I'd boot my favorite "rescue system" (GRMl nowadays,
7 > Knoppix back then, but IMO Knoppix is too "fat" for *this* *task*)
8 > and install from there. As far as I'm concerned,
9 > the Gentoo install CD could easily be dropped without a loss.
10
11 I had to use it to set up my 64-bit system 0710xx :
12 Knoppix didn't have a 64-bit kernel
13 & SystemRescue couldn't connect to my ADSL Internet line.
14 I installed by hand following the steps in the manual with a few tweaks
15 for my own personal needs. I didn't like the Gnome desktop on the CD
16 & wondered why it doesn't use eg Fluxbox, but that's personal taste (smile).
20 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
21 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
22 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
23 --
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list