From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync backup system
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:03:36
1 >> > 4. Should I be comfortable running the entire sync operation every
2 >> > night, or am I jeopardizing the longevity of my HDs?
3 >> >
4 >> This is a joke.
5 >
6 > I should apologize and explain this better.
7 >
8 > If you bought a fancy expensive hard drive then it's probably designed
9 > for extremely heavy use and comes with nice coverage by the guy that
10 > sold it to you.  But since you ask this question I'll assume that it's
11 > not the case.
12 >
13 > Ok so you bought a relatively cheap heard drive.  But the question seems
14 > irrelevant.  Because these are cheap, mass-produced hard drives you
15 > could do absolutely nothing with them and they could still die tomorrow.
16 > That's the price you pay for cheaper drives.  Cheap hard drives are like
17 > life.  Life is cheap.  You could take all kinds of precautions and still
18 > die tomorrow.  But your drive is cheap and easily replaced (esp. if it's
19 > still under warranty).  Your data on the other hand is not.  I'd rather
20 > have a dead drive with the data backed up than a dead drive with no
21 > backup.  Drives are so cheap nowadays it's a non-issue.  I'm actually
22 > hoping my 2-year old drive dies soon because it will give me an excuse
23 > to go out and buy a *bigger* one for the same price.   But I feel
24 > comfortable with that because I keep backups.
25
26 Thank you for the clarification. Which are the "fancy expensive" hard drives?
27
28 - Grant