From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl and the conf file.
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 09:19:50
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Arve Barsnes wrote:
3 >> I have not updated to yesterday's version yet, but using this format
4 >> string on the command line on a HD video downloaded a 720p video, as
5 >> expected.
6 >>
7 >> Immediate thought is that there's a stray config file somewhere still.
8 >> Why do you get the 'ytdl-format' thing? As far as the internet can
9 >> tell me, this is a mpv command line option.
10 >>
11 >> Regards,
12 >> Arve
16 > That idea turned into something.  I recently started running the command
17 > as my user instead of root.  I was trying to fix permissions issues
18 > since it sets them as root:root when run as root plus it shouldn't be
19 > run as root.  Anyway, I thought I'd better look in /home/dale and see if
20 > there was a config file in there.  Yep, there it was.  I think the
21 > problem may be that they was a leading space at the beginning of the
22 > relevant line.  That space may have confused youtube-dl.
23 >
24 > It didn't hit me that this started when I started switching to my user
25 > instead of running as root.  I don't recall setting up that user config
26 > file either.  That said, it was likely many years ago.  Will update
27 > later when I test it again.
28 >
29 > Oh, it was grabbing the right format despite the error.  It never went
30 > above 720P or 1280 wide.  It was working, just complaining about it.  lol
31 >
32 > Thanks much.
33 >
34 > Dale
35 >
40 Just to confirm.  I been using the old version still but the error
41 message is gone.  Me starting to use my user account and it having a bad
42 config I forgot about was the problem.
43
44 Thanks for the help.  :-D
45
46 Dale