From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] data recovery advice needed
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 17:11:40
1 On 2018.12.18 04:43, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday, 17 December 2018 23:19:39 GMT Jack wrote:
3 >
4 >> At this point, I think I've forgotten the details, but using the
5 >> example of a 300G drive with 100G empty and then a 200G partition,
6 >> when I moved the partition to the beginning of the disk (using
7 >> gparted, as I remember) once it moved more than the first 100G of
8 >> the partition, it overwrote the beginning of the original partition,
9 >> and once it overwrote any of the directory structure it still needed
10 >> to know where stuff was, game over.
11 >
12 > Gparted can handle that without difficulty - I do it often - so I
13 > think you must be mistaken in the tool you used.
14 No, not mistaken in which tool, but likely mistaken in my memory of the
15 exact course of events. It's possible the gparted move operation was
16 interrupted. Could have been an accidental Ctl-C or a power failure.
17 However, at this point, I'd need a better crystal ball looking
18 backwards to know for sure.
19 >
20 > Sorry not to be more helpful...
21 I have more responses for elsewhere in the thread, but I think any
22 further serious attempts at recovery are going to have to wait until I
23 buy a new disk or two, so I can do everything internal on the desktop,
24 and not on the laptop with USB.
25 > --
26 > Regards,
27 > Peter.