From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems moving /boot partiton
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:45:10
1 On Sunday 30 April 2006 16:57, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On 4/30/06, Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Try executing this command from the grub command line:
4 > >
5 > > find /boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2
6 > >
7 > > It'll return the partition where it finds the file.. It should be
8 > > something like (ab0,x).. Then as usual enter the grub commands..
9 > >
10 > > root (ab0,x)
11 > > setup (ab0)
12 > > quit
13 > >
14 > > Hope this helps,
15 > > Farhan Ahmed
16 >
17 > Hi Farhan and John,
18 > First, thanks for the quick responses.
19 >
20 > 1) I've booted again from the unversal Install CD. I have two consoles
21 > open - one is in the install environment and the second is in the
22 > chroot'ed environment.
23 >
24 > 2) In the install environment it tells me that I have /dev/sda3
25 > mounted at /mnt/gentoo and /dev/sda9 mounted at /mnt/gentoo/boot
26 >
27 > 3) In the chroot'ed environment I run grub and then your find command. It
28 > says
29 >
30 > Error 15: File not found
31 > grub>
32 >
33 > 4) In the install environment I can see the kernel file at
34 > /mnt/gentoo/boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2
35 >
36 > 5) In the chroot'ed environment I can see the kernel file at
37 > /boot/bzImage-2.6.16-gentoo-r2
38 >
39 > 6) I thoought grub supported tab completion but maybe that's only at
40 > boot time. While running grub in a console in the chroot'ed
41 > environment tabs are just moving the cursor to the right.
42 >
43 > Let me know what other info you might need to make another guess.
44 >
45 > Thanks again for your help!
46 >
47 > Cheers,
48 > Mark
49 the find command i meant for you to run was at boot time..hit "e" when the
50 grub menu comes up, then "c" for command-line
51
52 Now, did you get into fdisk and make sure your hda9 had a * in the "boot"
53 column?
54 --
55 John Jolet
56 Your On-Demand IT Department