From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo for me?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 03:14:13
1 On Feb 25, 2012 10:06 AM, "John" <irgunii@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Hi folks,
5 >
6 > I've been using linux for about 12 years now, but only used DE's. I've
7 got ADD in the
8 > extreme and have poor memory retention so trying to learn things 'UNIX'
9 (command line and
10 > such) is just too difficult for me. I can do some command line stuff but
11 nothing more than
12 > getting time from someplace to make my clock be correct, heh.
13 >
14 > I've been using SuSE/openSUSE now for all those 12 years but I'm
15 becoming somewhat
16 > disgruntled with the direction I feel it's going (don't ask, it'll just
17 get me started
18 > rantin' and ravin'). I've looked at Slackware, but the package management
19 looks just a
20 > little bit more than I can try to handle at first without getting
21 frustrated and scrubbing
22 > it off my hard drive.
23 >
24 > I've looked at a *LOT* of other distro's and too many use Gnome (I can't
25 stand it,
26 > that's my opinion so don't try to argue with me to change), some are a
27 bit too
28 > minimalistic and others too much like openSUSE is now - huge.
29 >
30 > I finally came upon Gentoo and for the past few days I've been reading
31 and looking at
32 > things and so far it seems to be what I'm wanting to switch to, but
33 here's my quandary:
34 >
35 > I'm dirt-poor and have only a dial-up connection. The Portage package
36 management seems
37 > extremely nice, but will it be a problem for me to upgrade say just one
38 package/app at a
39 > time? Will I be able to find a tarball of an app I want to try out and be
40 able to build it
41 > like I would with rpmbuild (will it be as relatively easy as that)? Is
42 there a
43 > 'repository' of apps anywhere that I can go to to look and see if the app
44 I normally use
45 > for something is there?
46 >
47 > There's probably more questions, but I best keep this short for now,
48 lol. Thanks for any
49 > replies and help with these things and I hope I made enough sense for
50 everyone to
51 > understand what I'm trying to get at.
52 >
53 > JB
56 Have a look at Sabayon. It's Gentoo-based, but it comes with binary
57 repository (although you can easily use portage if you want).
58
59 It offers 'out of the box' support for KDE4, xfce, or gnome3. Others are
60 available but you have to compile them yourself (via portage).
61
62 Rgds,