From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] write to attached USB drv from windowsXP
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:35:02
1 Anyone have experience with getting write to work on an external
2 usb drive attached to gentoo box. Read/write from a windows xp box.
3
4 I have the usb drive viewable from windowsXP thru network places. I
5 can navigate all thru it but cannot write to it.
6
7 Settings in /etc/samba/smb.con look like:
8
9 [...]
10
11 [smWinUsb]
12 comment = ""
13 path = /usb1
14 writeable = yes
15 guest ok = yes
16
17 [smLinUsb]
18 comment = ""
19 path = /usb2
20 writeable = yes
21 guest ok = yes
22 [...]
23
24 These are mounted at:
25 Initial mount of usb controller
26
27 (from linux mount cmd)
28
29 o usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
30
31 Individual drives on the USB external drive:
32
33 o /dev/sda2 on /usb2 type ext3 (rw)
34 o /dev/sda1 on /usb1 type vfat (rw)
35
36 Both are writable from the gentoo box where they are mounted.
37
38 /usb1 [vfat]
39 /usb2 [linux ext3]
40
41 Which is the same as any other shares in smb.conv. I've defined. All
42 of the others are writable from remote windows XP. None of the others
43 are USB drives however.
44
45 Is there some special tricks needed for USB drives.
46
47 Once more for clarity: I can access them from windows xp and view
48 contents but cannot write to them.
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list