From: Don Jerman <djerman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub hangs when a USB disk is attached
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:01:31
1 On 2/28/08, andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On gio, 2008-02-28 at 19:23 +0100, KH wrote:
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > never tried that and might only be a temporary workaround. You could
7 > > install grub in the mbr of both disk and then point them only to your
8 > > internal disk. That way you should always be able to boot, shouldn't you?
9 > >
10 > /dev/sdd does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
11 >
12 > mmmh... what does it mean?
15 When the usb disk is attached after boot the BIOS doesn't give it a HD
16 number in the series 0x80,0x81, etc, where 0x80 = (hd0) in grub or
17 /dev/sda. The OS handles all the controller events and connects the
18 USB device up through udev.
19
20 When it is attached at boot-time it does get one(!) because the BIOS
21 sees it before the OS has hooked in.
22
23 To accomplish this you probably need to boot from the CD while the USB
24 is attached. To me it seems risky, but possible. I wonder what will
25 happen when you disconnect the USB drive after booting is complete?
26 --
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list