From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Current Dells and UEFI/secureboot (or other showstoppers)?
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 11:53:06
1 130330 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I have 2 Dell desktops ("production" and "hot backup")
3 > that are pushing 5 or 6 years of age, and I need to replace at least one.
4 > They simply can't keep up with HD video streams...
5 > * I'm running Gentoo with full optimizations
6 > * I'm running ICEWM with no "desktop environment"; see my sig
7 > So I don't think there are any more optimizations to be had,
8 > other than a new PC. Assuming there are no showstoppers,
9 > I'll be buying another Dell. They seem to last for me.
10
11 Why don't you build a custom machine ? I've built 4 since 2000 :
12 it's cheaper & you get exactly what you want.
13 IIRC you live in the Toronto area : I bought all my parts
14 at Canada Computers on College St, which has an excellent website.
15 There's lots of advice via this list once you decide to try.
19 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
20 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
21 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca