From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 12:37:18
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 20/09/2015 17:28, lee wrote:
4 >> Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 21:36:06 +0200, lee wrote:
7
8 > [...]
9 >>>> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been
10 >>>> pulled !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
11 > [...]
12 >>> These are unimportant, it is simply portage telling you it is not
13 >>> updating some packages to the latest available and why. Personally, I
14 >>> believe this sort of output should only be shown when using --verbose.
15 >>
16 > [...]
17 >> Should I always ignore such messages?
18 >
19 > No, you should not ignore such messages. They are printed for a reason.
20
21 Well, what can I do other than ignore them? With dependencies as they
22 are, and given that I don't want to remove packages, some of the
23 packages that could be upgraded to newer versions won't be upgraded
24 because otherwise things might be broken. There's nothing I could do
25 about that, or is there?
26
27 > You have a SLOT conflict and whether that prevents you from proceeding
28 > or not doesn't change the fact that portage knows you have that conflict.
29
30 Is it possible to solve this conflict without removing packages?
31
32 > In your specific case today, I believe portage will simply install the
33 > lesser version and be done with it, but it will only do that when you
34 > fix the USE issue (a whole separate issue)
35
36 Probably --- yet it tells me about conflicts, makes them appear to be
37 important, and leaves me wondering how to solve them.
38
39 > [...]
40 > The USE conflict for sure. Maybe the SLOT conflict but I think portage
41 > will just deal with that one
42 > [...]
43 >> This one doesn't look very important, or does it?
44 >
45 > Chill dude, seriously. The sky is not about to fall on your head and the
46 > bits on your disk are not going to miraculously re-arrange themselves
47 > into Windows just because you can't do this update.
48
49 Sure, yet why make unimportant messages look important and important
50 ones unimportant?
51
52 > Portage is what it is, deal with it.
53 >
54 > The portage team are all unpaid volunteers just liek everyone else and
55 > none of us have any right at all to make demands of them. Especially not
56 > you and I who are not active contribution solutions.
57
58 I know --- however, making a suggestion to improve the messages is a
59 contribution.
60
61 > [...]
62 >> How about adding comments to such messages, like "You don't need to do
63 >> anything to be able to proceed." and "You need to fix this before you
64 >> could proceed."?
65 >
66 > If emerge exited then you need to fix something in your config.
67 > If emerge does not exit then your config can be used as-is.
68
69 Messages more helpful could make it easier to figure out what needs to
70 be fixed.
71
72 > [...]
73 >> The last sync I did before the one yesterday wasn't the day before
74 >> yesterday but over three months ago, so don't ask me today (or next
75 >> weekend or whenever I give it another try) when that exactly was. See
76 >> what I mean? Asking me to mask all packages to a certain point in time
77 >> is like asking me to do much of the package management by myself.
78 >
79 > Exactly. You DO need to do the package management yourself. The Gentoo
80 > devs provide useful tools in the form of portage and the tree with it's
81 > ebuilds and eclasses, plus some amazing automation.
82 >
83 > But, are here's the bit where so many people move away from Gentoo:
84 >
85 > You are required to do the management yourself, including most of the
86 > thinking and all of the sweeping up of broken pieces. That's what you
87 > signed up for when using Gentoo.
88
89 Perhaps not so many people would move away if the messages were
90 improved.
91
92 > If you want to roll back the tree, then you need to implement a
93 > solution that will let you do it as Gentoo does nto provide one. Git
94 > now makes this easier.
95
96 Converting to btrfs might work for that, if I can boot from it.
97
98 > However, tree rollbacks are inadvisable for excellent technical reasons
99 > - see if you can figure them out. Better to snapshot your entire system
100 > and revert the snapshot if it goes south.
101
102 That's not even advisable with sources, though IIRC, the reasons for
103 that might not apply here. However, it's weird that a system like git
104 makes it inadvisable to undo something, considering that being able to
105 undo something very easily, is one important reason to invent and use
106 such a system in the first place.
107
108 Using snapshots for undoing things git is quite an application of
109 overengineering.
113 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
114 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.